Although Pisa sits at the northern end of Tuscany, the high-speed journey from Rome to Pisa by train takes under 2 ½ hours. It is ideal for day trips, although Pisa merits more time.
The small city with a world-famous tower is a compelling destination. A vibrant university town backdropped by architectural marvels. The Leaning Tower is a must, but landmarks like the 11th-century Pisa Cathedral and Palazzo dei Cavalieri enliven the birthplace of Galileo. It is an absorbing city to lay your hat for an extended stopover.
Rome to Pisa trains are a balanced mix of high-speed direct services and one-change routes that take around 15 minutes longer. Direct services booked in advance are cheaper than indirect services.
High-speed trains from Rome to Tuscany are a mix of comfortable Frecce class trains and intercity services operated by Trenitalia. That includes direct services from Roma Termini or indirect routes to Firenze S.M. Novella or Pisa, then onto Tuscan Line regional trains.
While indirect Rome to Pisa trains are generally a few Euros more expensive and a few minutes slower, they offer a chance to ride the Tuscan line. As the name suggests, this Regionale Veloce route cuts through the heart of Tuscan landscapes, making view-filled amends for those extra costs.
Intercity and Frecce direct trains to Pisa depart every 1-2 hours and deliver the fastest journey time. Look for Frecciargento services which clock an unbeatable journey time of 2 hours and 17 minutes.
Meanwhile, slower Intercity and indirect trains cover the same distance in just over 3 hours.
Alternatively, travelers can opt for classy Italo high-speed trains to Firenze S.M. Novella before switching to a fixed-price Regionale Tuscan Line train to Pisa. Italo trains offer peerless comfort to Florence but can take up to one hour longer than direct Trenitalia services.
Where possible, book a train from Tuscany to Rome ahead of travel. To save money and compare options with Trenitalia and Italo for the best combination of value and schedule.
Rome to Pisa by Train Details
- Prices: There are three options when traveling from Rome to Pisa by train:
- The fastest and most economical is on direct Trenitalia services starting from €12.90 (Intercity) or €14.90 (Frecce.) Fares start from €24.90 booked within 5 days of travel and rise considerably on the day of travel.
- Fares start from €23.80 on indirect high-speed Trenitalia trains to Firenze S. M. Novella. They include the fixed-price Regionale train to Pisa (€8.90.)
- Italo offers a similar journey via Firenze S. M. Novella starting from €19.80 when booked in advance.
- First-class upgrades are available on high-speed sections with both rail operators, often for just a few Euros more on advance reservations. Ticket flexibility is also offered.
- Frequency: Up to 10 direct trains from Rome to Pisa. Up to 25 indirect routes via Florence, using Trenitalia and Italo services.
- Duration: The fastest direct route by train from Rome to Pisa takes 2 hours and 17 minutes. Most journeys take between 2 ½ and 3 ½ hours.